Wednesday, October 6, 2010

EasyTether

I recently upgraded my phone from a 4 year old flip phone to the HTC Evo. One of the selling points for me was the Android operating system and tethering. While taking my turn on call, I have wanted the ability to go mobile and have an Internet connection anywhere I go. The built in Sprint tethering costs $30 per month. That's too expensive so I looked at other options. I found a program called EasyTether.

This program is free for HTTP use or a one-time cost of $10 for all other ports. I installed the app and have been able to get it working for Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I duel boot my work machine but use Ubuntu 90% of the time. Here is my instruction sheet for making EasyTether work

On Phone
EVO should be set to charge only and connected to the machine
Go to Applications -> Development -> Make sure USB debugging is enabled
Go to EasyTetherPro -> Enabled USB Tethering

On Computer (Ubuntu)
sudo easytether connect - keep the terminal open and open another terminal window
sudo dhclient easytether0

On Computer (Windows)
Open the app and connect

This is great for road trips or during a thunderstorm and the power is out at home and its the middle of the night and somebody from India is calling to tell you a site is down and they need help. That's a killer run-on sentence but it's true.

And keep these instructions on your local computer because you will need them at 2AM when you can't think straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment